Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Międzyzdroje: Article 8

At the end of the evangelism tour with the theater group Dar, we spent the night at a brand new, not yet opened hotel called the Golden Tulip in Międzyzdroje. It is located five minutes from the Międzyzdroje beach on the Baltic Sea. This was a unique portion of the tour since it was not focused on evangelism, but was an opportunity to raise money for Dar.
One of the main managers knew Jarek and Monika Siech from theatre work they had done in Bydgoszcz. He was able to offer them the opportunity to help “sell” the apartments/hotel rooms to the investors who were coming the following day, before the actual grand opening. There were two apartments that the investors would be shown and our job was to act as though we were living in these rooms.
This was probably one of the most random, interesting, awkward experiences of my life. Monika and Jarek dressed as mimes and moved about one apartment as a married couple. Kinga, Carman, and I were dressed in our doll costumes and were to pantomime a family in the second apartment. Carman was the father, Kinga our dancing daughter, and I, of course, was the mother.
We arrived in Międzyzdroje around noon the day before our actual “performance,” so we got to explore a bit, walk the beach a little bit, and wait for Monika and Jarek to be finished with their meeting with all the bigwigs of the Golden Tulip. It was a fairly enjoyable day except for the fact that my immune system was still trying to conquer a nasty little sickness that had hit me the day before, so I was basically sleepwalking my way through the sightseeing. I was overjoyed when we were able to get into the rooms that we would be staying in for the night. I was in and out of sleep from the moment we found our rooms and I plopped myself on the comfortable, never before slept on bed. Pillows surrounded me and it was glorious.
One of the few times I was out of sleep was for the group meeting to explain what exactly was expected of us. While eating our Polish pizza, we were informed, by Jarek and Monika, of every little detail on how we were to act. If we did one thing that some of the top managers did not like, our mutual understanding with the hotel (since we were not given a written contract) could be terminated. With this knowledge, we realized there was a lot of practice and particulars we would have to go through, but that night, to my relief, we decided to just enjoy our slightly unfinished rooms and rest.
The next morning, with me feeling somewhat better, we gathered together for a Bible study and then spent quite a bit of time getting ready for that afternoon. We got acquainted with the apartments we would be showing and worked out the little kinks in our doll movements. The thing I struggled with the most was only interacting with the Dar members and never responding to the audience that would be coming through. This was difficult because we were told that we were only an enhancement to show off the perks that came with the rooms and were not to be distractions. This meant, we were not to respond to anything besides each other, but we were also not to be rude and ignore the investors. The line between playing our part and ignoring was difficult one to figure out.
With all our makeup and costumes on we waited anxiously in our separate apartments. Where Carman, Kinga, and I waited, there were also three others: two waitresses of sorts and one bartender, for the hotel had set up a bar on the balcony. We all stood in the living area chatting, but ready to scramble to our posts as soon as we would hear the elevator “ding.” I don’t remember how many false alarms we had.
The first group of investors came through the doors very loudly. They were all English speakers, though it was obvious that for most of them it wasn’t their first language. I spent the first few minutes of their tour in the bathroom doing short doll like movements that would point out different features and then pausing. After showing off the towel heating rack and the other fancy things I would walk into the kitchen and pretend to pour tea for my “husband.” It was basically all improve from there on. The groups would stay anywhere from 15-30 minutes in the apartments, and I would have to move, pause, not respond, smile, move pause, and figure out my next move, while trying not to do the same thing over and over again. Thankfully, most of the investors tended to enjoy their time at the bar more than spending the whole time exploring the apartment.
This first group also held one of the most awkward moments I have ever had. I was paused by the dishwasher in the kitchen, looking down at the teacup I had just placed in it, when an older gentleman approached. Trying not to respond to his obvious nearness I was staring as intently as I could when the gentleman grabbed my hand in his. He started to speak to me with a French accent, and since I assumed this was not one of those times I could ignore the guests, I looked at him in response. As our eyes met, he stepped back slightly taken aback.
“Your eyes,” he exclaimed, “They are so blue! They are perfect! They are blue! I am French. ”
It was my turn to be somewhat taken aback, and not knowing what to do I just smiled and nodded my head slightly.
Still holding my hand, he continued praising my eyes and commenting about how he was French. When the only response I could think to give him was the nodding of my head and the pleasant-June-Cleaver smile, he just squeezed my hand and said with a knowing smile, “I understand, it’s okay. I am French.”
It was one of the longest two minutes of my life, but thankfully the tour leader announced that it was time to leave. With one last squeeze the Frenchman let go of my hand and walked out the door. Once every last investor was gone I was free to laugh and shake off the awkwardness. Kinga, seeing a little of what had happened came to me laughing as well. After that, the rest of the evening seemed to be rather uneventful, though, I’m not sure if I’ve ever had so many random people take pictures of me.
Thinking back to this time of unusual and unexpected opportunity for provision, I realize that living this life is never boring. I never know what to expect from the things God calls me to do. It reminds me that His ways are higher than mine, and with a past as strange and awesome as I’ve got thus far in life, it only makes me even more wary and excited for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment