Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Poland? How'd I get There?: Article 1

Portland, OR, a city that, for the last few years, has been of great interest to me. The music, the art, the general lifestyle, and the people have all added their piece to my fascination with the city. My preoccupation led me to think that maybe God was calling me there, even if just for a little while. My family knew of this, so I was a little taken aback when I received a text from my mom saying: “Maybe God meant Poland instead of Portland.”
Little did either of us know that this simple text would be a catalyst for a series of events that are continuing to change my life.
Prior to sending me the text, Mom had been to a church service where Cezary Komisarz, a minister from Poland, was speaking. He gave his testimony and spoke about Poland’s needs and opportunities for ministry. After the service Mom was able to talk with him and his fellow travelers. Through all this, Mom thought of me… her little adventure/missions/travel junkie. With me on her mind and a little wit on her fingertips, she was prompted to send the above text.
Amused, but slightly confused I remember getting into a discussion where I ultimately dismissed the possibility of me going to Poland. I had a job, debt, and couldn’t see taking off too much time off of work. I knew God was getting ready to change things, I could feel it, but I didn’t think He was going to use Poland.
Well, after a week or so of random suggestions from Mom, discussions with co-workers, and the possibility of travel seeming more possible, I decided to at least call the number of Russ Brown, the director of Poland Evangelical Mission.
No more than ten minutes into the conversation with Russ I realized two things. First, almost all the information I heard from my mom that made a trip to Poland seem possible, mainly concerning time frame and cost, was incorrect. Misunderstandings seemed to be the basis of reasons why I decided to even look into Poland. My second realization, though, was that it didn’t matter to me. I wanted to go and felt a confidence that I would go creep into me. I couldn’t see how it would be possible, but God does crazy things all the time, so I hung up the phone and began to figure out what would need to happen.
Through more phone calls and discussions time frames changed, the prices changed, and my standing at work changed. I no longer had to worry about getting the time off because time off is what you get when you’re laid off. Slightly concerned over finances, but realizing that everything happening was God ordained, I continued to try to raise money for Poland, but while everything got me a little closer, nothing worked like I thought it would. I tried using indiegogo.com (an online fundraising platform), I did commissioned paintings, I took pictures for families, and offered up any of my services for a chance to earn and raise money, and in each scenario, while I was always shown grace and blessing from both God and man, I felt like everything I earned or was gifted barely made a dent at the cost.
I bought my ticket two or three weeks later than I wanted to. I was greatly concerned that the prices would increase by the time I had the money needed. I should know by now not to worry, God always has surprises. Unbeknownst to me, the day before I bought my ticket, the price lowered from over $1515 to $1360! It was a good thing God had patience when I didn’t.
After the ticket I still had still had a “guestimated” $1000 I needed. I had $1000 in my account, but also had $1000 left on my school debt. $200 had to go towards that bill for the month of July. My part time job was ending in the beginning in July and with no more foreseeable opportunities to earn money in the future I was torn at what to do. Do I get out of debt or put all the money towards Poland? Ultimately the question was, “How much do I trust God?” In the end I emptied my bank account to get out of debt and while I felt like rejoicing, I also began to realize I had no idea how the money for Poland was going to come. In my weak faith I praised God and soon afterwards friends from all directions started gifting me money out of nowhere. A little here and a little there and I was encouraged.
One week before I was to board the plane for Poland, I was still in need of roughly $800 and began to stress and panic. They were short spurts of panic, but panic nonetheless. Everyday for a week, whether it was money, a card, or non-monetary gift, some form of encouragement was sent my way that would remind me to calm my doubting soul.
Sunday, July 29, I traveled to the cities with some friends who were going to drop me off at the airport the next morning. We made a stop at Guitar Center, and as I was about to enter I get a call from Mom. Less than 24 hours before the flight, the final $500 I needed was given to me. Not only did God provide ways for me earn money, He moved the hearts of friends, family, and churches to bless me, and this time God did it with a few hours to spare.
There’s so much I could detail about May leading all the way to July 30th, when I officially began my Polish journey, but even for me, it becomes overwhelming to think off all God did. From no consideration of Poland, to no desire, to no money, to no time and no concept of how to move away from these negatives, God brought me through “random” meetings, misunderstandings, lots of work, lots of humility, lots of blessings, and a good dash of stress to what has become an experience much bigger than I can even understand right now.
And that’s how I got to Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment